Local users get to play root?

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 18 18:41:13 UTC 2009

2009/11/18 Simo Sorce <ssorce at redhat.com>:
> On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 13:19 -0500, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
>> This significantly limits the number of users with powers to install
>> signed software -- almost to the point of where it sounds like a fair
>> trade-off. If someone has physical access to the machine, then heck --
>> it's not like they don't already effectively "own" it.
>
> Most of my users wouldn't be able to "own" it even if I let a root shell
> open, but they would definitely be able to install or remove packages
> using the GUI.
>
> The difference is huge.

If I have physical access to your machine, I'll own it. I may have to
use tools to get to the HDD, but it's only a question of time and
dedication.

Now, there can be situations where someone has access to the TTY
console or GDM (usually when it's a VM guest or a machine behind a
network KVM), but most often, if someone can log in on the console,
they are sitting in front of the physical box, to which they have full
access.

Regards,
--
McGill University IT Security