Local users get to play root?

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 18 20:27:09 UTC 2009

> 2009/11/18 nodata <lsof at nodata.co.uk>:

>>> I'm not sure how you can root a computer from installing signed
>>> content by a user that already has physical access to the machine.
>>
>> You install software with a known buffer overflow before it is fixed and
>> exploit it. More software = more chances to exploit. Bingo!
>
> If a user logged in from a physical local console wanted to exploit
> their machine, this would be the hard way to do it.

So here is what I've just gotten from talking to Ray Strode and reading
docs.

if you want to disable this just run:

pklalockdown --lockdown org.freedesktop.packagekit.package-install

that will keep anyone from installing pkgs w/o authenticating as admin.

That's the short version.

the long version I'm working on writing up right now.

-sv