Local users get to play root?

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at pobox.com
Wed Nov 18 21:31:00 UTC 2009

On 11/18/2009 01:04 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Jon Ciesla wrote:
>> Seth Vidal wrote:
>>> You have PackageKit installed on servers? really?

>> I do if it's in the default DVD install, or was pulled in in an
>> upgrade. I've never intentionally installed it, and yes I do. Never
>> imagined it would be a problem. I'll remove it.

> Maybe you and I have a different concept of 'Servers'. But I tend to
> install @core only and then remove items whenever I can for a server.

This sounds like a tacit admission that the default install for servers
is bloody stupid (== same as desktop), unless the admin REMOVES packages
we helpfully installed on the server system.

Does that sound like good engineering to you?

Sorry, this new policy is wildly inconsistent, a special case that will
change in F13, we are told.  It is wholly different from the entire
history of Linux distributions.

	Jeff