Promoting i386 version over x86_64?

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 00:11:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 1:32 AM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> I noticed that http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora appears to be
> strongly promoting i386 Fedora over x86_64. Is this intentional or an
> oversight?

It is intentional. This is one of the standard discussion topics of
this list. And it usually stems from or leads to a KDE/Gnome fight.
The primary reason why it is this way is usually defended by:

"When my aunt comes to the download page, she won't know which version
to download because she doesn't know what 64 bit is. The goal is to
have my aunt download something that will work. It doesn't matter how
good it works."

It is no surprise that this is also the primary reason why Gnome
Desktop spin is called the Desktop spin. However, I think people are
more busy with the "user playing root" thread, so that this thread got
discarded for now.

Orcan