Local users get to play root?

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at pobox.com
Thu Nov 19 07:14:32 UTC 2009

On 11/18/2009 11:27 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 20:20 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
>
>>> 5) The people who want this new security policy should add an opt-in checkbox
>>> in Anaconda or firstboot.
>
>> Does anyone disagree with anything in 1-5?  It all sounds reasonable to
>> me?
>
> I disagree with 5, that's not a sensible or sustainable way to deal with
> this kind of thing. At least not without some kind of coherent process.
> Just throwing in single-issue checkboxes ad hoc is not the way to do
> this - should we have fifty checkboxes for everything you can configure
> users to be able to do or not able to do? If we're going to go down that
> route, it needs to be a properly planned utility, something like
> Mandriva's msec. Only, uh, probably better.

Your and Rahul's points are definitely well taken.  Certainly quite a
few know quite a bit more than I do, about where to put this "policy knob."

IMO #2 is the only urgent priority -- if this decision will be reverted
(it should!), it should happen very soon, so that users can capture this
in updates as soon after install as possible.

	Jeff