Local users get to play root?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 23:07:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 02:37:36PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 09:25 +1100, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 03:00 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >
> > > I would have thought, it should have actually convinced you to not
> > > indulge in same thing but apparently not. I will lower my expectations.
> >
> > You don't seem to realise that right now you have a protest staged
> > outside your office. Your response appears to be "all you stupid people
> > go home and wait for a decision".
>
> No-one's calling anyone stupid. What would you suggest would be better
> than escalating the issue at the first available opportunity to the
> appropriate authority - FESco - which is exactly what's happened? The
> only alternative is for someone to abuse Red Hat chains of command to
> force some kind of change in this policy, which is exactly the kind of
> thing that should _not_ happen in Fedora. The current process appears to
> precisely the correct one, so far as I can see. The issue will be
> considered in very timely fashion by the appropriately-constituted (and
> majority-elected!) authority, which will decide what the appropriate
> response will be.

Those aren't the only alternatives.  There's also the alternative of
the maintainers voluntarily making a change to accommodate feedback.
A situation where we have one part of the Fedora community giving
unwanted marching orders to the other parts of the Fedora community is
not an optimal result.  (Where that's happened before on rare
occasions, it's never been a good thing.)

I'm not saying that FESCo shouldn't have purview over the issue, just
that you're really drawing a black and white picture where there's
clearly some in-between.