Promoting i386 version over x86_64?

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Fri Nov 20 11:23:33 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> writes:

> This is, sadly, intentional. I and others have been complaining about this
> for months, we got ignored, all in the names of making things work for
> people who are not smart enough to figure out whether their computer is 64-
> bit or not. The argument that almost all new non-netbook machines are 64-bit
> anyway also got ignored.

If only the 32-bit version was smart enough to install a 64-bit kernel
when appropriate, this would not be such a disaster. Running a 32-bit
kernel with 4GB of memory is asking for trouble, and machines with 4GB
are probably as common as netbooks.

32-bit or 64-bit userland doesn't make such a difference.

/Benny