Old/compat package naming

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Nov 20 22:45:18 UTC 2009

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Given the history of these, this sounds like way more work to change
> than it's worth. (They'd certainly have to still provide 'glib2'
> and 'gtk2' for many years in the future.)

Well, given how few things still use gtk+ 1, it shouldn't be that hard to do
now, as only those things need fixing, for everything using gtk2, a Provides
is all that's needed (and I'd argue it should be kept there anyway because
gtk+ should become GTK+ 3 at some point; we're keeping the qt4 and kdelibs4
Provides permanently for that reason, it makes no sense to remove them and
change packages to use the unversioned names only to have to change things
back a few years from now).

        Kevin Kofler