F12: where did window properties go?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 14:18:47 UTC 2009

2009/11/20 Pádraig Brady <P at draigbrady.com>:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
>> You're making the assumption that the change was made to save space.  It
>> wasn't.  I can't find the original thread right now, but it's part of a
>> cleanup on configuration tools.  Upstream felt it no longer necessary to
>> expose this
>
> Wow. Did they get any estimates on the % of users that set this option
> before coming to that decision?
>
> IMHO the only advantage an overlapping window manager has over
> say a tiling window manager is in conjunction with sloppy focus.

This is completely consistent with what is going on a decade of behaviour
from that particular upstream.   If you don't want your usability removed
in the name of usability, don't use gnome. A quick google on this will find
you dozens of times were that particular complaint fest has been had... it
won't be productive to have it again.