jack2

Mon Nov 23 19:01:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 15:39 +0100, Rudolf Kastl wrote:
> 2009/11/5 Andy Shevchenko <andy.shevchenko at gmail.com>:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Nowadays the jack project has two branches - old jack (1) branch with
> > version 0.116.2 and new one called jack2 version 1.9.3.
> > I'd like to gather opinions and suggestions about applying new version for F13.
> > Please, share your thoughts!
>
> The new jack handles device reservation, so it interacts with
> pulseaudio much better.

(BTW, that seems to work just fine in fc12, jack2 takes and releases the
soundcard properly - for < fc12 I was using a wrapper perl script for
the same purpose)

> Waiting for a while already to see it appear
> atleast in rawhide (now rawhide f13) sometime soon.

Jack2 can also run jack clients in parallel (ie: at the same time) when
the connection graph between applications allows for that. As it spawns
multiple threads for that it can use multiple cores if available. Big
win in most current computers (but no problem in single core processors
either).

Jack2 has been the default in Planet CCRMA for a long time, no major
issues I know of. I have been using it myself for my realtime audio
performance work.

As Orcan suggests, an alternatives system for jack would be great as it
would give choice to users.

It would also be great if we could better coordinate rt priority
settings for jack to better interact with rt patched kernels and the
rtirq (or equivalent) script, see this post for my try at summarizing
current state:

http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2009-November/016161.html

-- Fernando