PackageKit policy: background and plans

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Nov 23 22:32:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:02 PM, James Morris <jmorris at namei.org> wrote:

> Possibly (it could simply be that an updated policy is weaker for some
> reason) -- but it doesn't matter, there should be no way to change MAC
> policy without MAC privilege.

It'd be nice here if we had the ability to only grant the ability to
install applications, not packages.  We could possibly do this even
now inside PackageKit by always downloading the filelists data, and
looking for a .desktop file.  It'd be even better if we could get at
the data inside the .desktop file, but that's not necessary for this.
That leaves aside the packagekit-command-not-found feature for unix
binaries, but that's more of a technical use case.