review request - rasmol, Molecular Graphics Visualization Tool

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Nov 25 20:17:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 12:04 -0800, Carl Byington wrote:

> > the short version is that at a minimum you should stick an icon with
> > the
> > same name as the binary, extension / file format .png,
> > in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps .
>
> That did not work for me, but if I put the converted .png icon in
> /usr/share/icons it works nicely.

That's the 'old' system and really shouldn't be used. What you probably
missed is the bit I missed from my original email - when using the new
system you need to add these snippets:

%post
touch --no-create %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor &>/dev/null || :

%postun
if [ $1 -eq 0 ] ; then
    touch --no-create %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor &>/dev/null
    gtk-update-icon-cache %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor &>/dev/null || :
fi

%posttrans
gtk-update-icon-cache %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor &>/dev/null || :

to the spec. Otherwise the icon cache doesn't get updated so the icon
won't be available.

> > ...that sounds like you shouldn't ship a menu entry at all, to me. As
> > you say, it would be rather pointless. But I dunno if there's a policy
> > requirement that you should anyway.
>
> It turns out to be trivial to have the desktop file launch the program
> from within a gnome-terminal
>
> Terminal=true
>
> which does exactly what I want.

ah, I see. I misunderstood you as suggesting that you need to pipe data
to rasmol at startup to make it useful, obviously that's not the case :)

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey