Fedora 12 Graphics Issues: Cancel F13 and concentrate on fixing F12 ?

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Thu Nov 26 20:16:54 UTC 2009

On 11/26/2009 07:46 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 17:09:14 +0000,
>    Terry Barnaby<terry1 at beam.ltd.uk>  wrote:
>> I really want to help and get a stable release and present bug reports and
>> even fix them if I can. But, the current short term release schedule, and no
>> focus on testing and fixing graphics issues, does not inspire me
>> with confidence that a stable usable release will emerge. This makes
>> it difficult
>> for me to justify the effort. Convince me :)
>
> I follow the radeon updates pretty closely and my 9200 finally starting working
> with 3d again a few weeks before the release. Airlie has continued
> development in the f12 branch and there have been several updates over the
> last couple of weeks.
> If you have just tried F11 and not F12 you should consider doing so. For r5xx
> and below, grab a live image and install one of the smaller 3d apps and
> try it out. For r6xx and above you'll want to install
> mesa-experimental-drivers and update xorg-x11-drv-ati. This won't get you
> the kernel updates related to graphics since the release, but should give
> you a good look at where things are at so that you can decide if you want
> install F12 on the machine.
Hi,

I have tried out F12 on 4 different systems, 2 with different ATI graphics and
two with different Intel based boards. Only the last one appears to be able
to run Blender. You mention "Airlie has continued development in the f12
branch". If that means there are people working on the bugs and producing new
driver updates for F12 (DRM,MESA,X11), especially for ATI then I certainly
will give it some time.