Fedora 12 Graphics Issues: Cancel F13 and concentrate on fixing F12 ?

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 09:28:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 11:12 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied at redhat.com> wrote:

>> Yes, some graphics boards I am sure work well, although 3D should really
>> be working on all cards in 2009 ...
>> But this is the point, there are a lot of different graphics boards, and
>> so a much wider scope for the testing is required here which requires more
>> users over more time with many different applications using basically the
>> same software.
>
> Why do you think 3D should be working in 2009 as opposed to any previous
> years btw? I'm interested in the logic that leads to this point.
>
> GPUs have gotten more and more complex every 6 months for about 8 years
> now. A current radeonhd 4000 series bears little resemblence to the
> radeon r100 that was out then. The newer GPUs require a full complier to
> be written for an instruction set more complex than x86 in some places.
> The newer GPUs get more and more varied modesetting combos that all
> require supporting.
>
> Now I'd would guess (educated slightly) that the amount of code required
> to write a full driver stack for a modern GPU has probably gone up
> 40-50x what used to be required, whereas the number of open source
> community developers has probably doubled since 2001. Also newer GPU
> designs have forced us to redesign the Linux GPU architecture, this
> had to happen in parallel with all the other stuff, again with similiar
> number of developers. So yes it sucks but it should point out why
> there is no reason why 3D should really be working on all cards.

Thats true but a driver that does not work with 3D can hardly be
called a working driver.
Sure GPUs are more complex nowdays and we have limited manpower but
most of this complexity (which people pay for) is for 3D.

3D shouldn't be considered as "nice to have" but an essential feature
that should be working.

But yeah talking is easy, actually fixing this problem is harder.....