Fedora 12: Emacs is not for software development

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Nov 27 20:42:24 UTC 2009

I just did a new install on a spare laptop. I chose the "Software
Development" option.

Emacs did not get installed.

Also, although neither mysql-devel, nor postgresql-devel, nor even
libtool-ltdl-devel got installed, I ended up with a huge number of -devel
packages, many of whom, from my viewpoint would like have an audience much
smaller than emacs' potential audience.

Although an argument could be made about mysql and postgresql, I suppose,
leaving emacs off is rather depressing, if that accurately represents the
contemporary general opinions.