Fedora 12: Emacs is not for software development

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 27 21:05:29 UTC 2009

On 11/28/2009 02:32 AM, Debayan Banerjee wrote:
> 2009/11/28 Rahul Sundaram
>
>> Why? It's just shows your personal preference for a editor. Emacs is
>> certainly not needed for software development.
>
> Well one does need an editor for development. Assuming vim and emacs
> have roughly equal user bases, chosing emacs over vim for the
> distribution shows Fedora packagers' personal preference too. I guess
> both vim and emacs should be available.

First of all, I don't think we have enough data to determine which
editor is being used by developers. How did you come up with the roughly
50/50 estimate?  I am sure we need a editor for development but I might
be using Eclipse or even Anjuta? IMO, it can be listed as a optional
package in the group and not more than that.

Rahul