Fedora 12: Emacs is not for software development

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh.goorah at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 12:05:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Debayan Banerjee wrote:
> Well one does need an editor for development. Assuming vim and emacs
> have roughly equal user bases, chosing emacs over vim for the
> distribution shows Fedora packagers' personal preference too. I guess
> both vim and emacs should be available.

Hello there,

For what it matters, vim and emacs are installed by default with FEL.
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/fel/

I'm looking for contributors who can help me improve user experience
(on fedora) with emacs for hardware design. Thereby I would appreciate
if you can help me maintain the following packages which will be set
default for FEL Livedvd 13:
 * spice-mode https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-electronic-lab/ticket/75
 * irsim-mode (draft spec file provided)
https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-electronic-lab/ticket/50

I'll do the package reviews, if someone steps in.

Also, I'm looking for someone who can communicate directly with
upstream to update both
* vhdl-mode
* verilog-mode
coming with upstream sources.

This ticket tracks the progress with upstream :
https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-electronic-lab/ticket/76. Please do
fill it if progress is made.

This blog post explains how one can use emacs in a production
environment for hardware design. I'm hoping that the above tasks can
further improve user experience out of the box.
http://chitlesh.wordpress.com/2009/05/27/fel-emacs-verilog-mode-dinotrace/

Kind regards,
Chitlesh