Fedora 12: Emacs is not for software development

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh.goorah at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 12:05:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Debayan Banerjee wrote:
> Well one does need an editor for development. Assuming vim and emacs
> have roughly equal user bases, chosing emacs over vim for the
> distribution shows Fedora packagers' personal preference too. I guess
> both vim and emacs should be available.

Hello there,

For what it matters, vim and emacs are installed by default with FEL.

I'm looking for contributors who can help me improve user experience
(on fedora) with emacs for hardware design. Thereby I would appreciate
if you can help me maintain the following packages which will be set
default for FEL Livedvd 13:
 * spice-mode https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-electronic-lab/ticket/75
 * irsim-mode (draft spec file provided)

I'll do the package reviews, if someone steps in.

Also, I'm looking for someone who can communicate directly with
upstream to update both
* vhdl-mode
* verilog-mode
coming with upstream sources.

This ticket tracks the progress with upstream :
https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-electronic-lab/ticket/76. Please do
fill it if progress is made.

This blog post explains how one can use emacs in a production
environment for hardware design. I'm hoping that the above tasks can
further improve user experience out of the box.

Kind regards,