license issue - combining gplv2 and lgpl sources in a single rpm

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 14:25:03 UTC 2009

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:25:27 -0800, Carl wrote:

> The rasmol source has a dual GPLv2/RASMOL license, so for Fedora we can
> consider that it is licensed gplv2. There are some libraries that are
> included that are licensed lgpl.

This is covered by:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/LicensingGuidelines#Mixed_Source_Licensing_Scenario

> Clearly, the finished rasmol binary is
> gplv2

The binary does not override the licensing of the source files it
was built from. The licensing does not only apply to the binary but
to the software as a whole.

If some of the source files use a less restrictive licensing scheme,
such as the LGPL, Fedora's current licensing guidelines want you to
specifiy that with and "AND" in the License tag.