Fedora 12: Emacs is not for software development

Gregory Hosler ghosler at redhat.com
Sun Nov 29 04:07:33 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 11/28/2009 02:32 AM, Debayan Banerjee wrote:
>> 2009/11/28 Rahul Sundaram
>>
>>> Why? It's just shows your personal preference for a editor. Emacs is
>>> certainly not needed for software development.
>> Well one does need an editor for development. Assuming vim and emacs
>> have roughly equal user bases, chosing emacs over vim for the
>> distribution shows Fedora packagers' personal preference too. I guess
>> both vim and emacs should be available.
>
> First of all, I don't think we have enough data to determine which
> editor is being used by developers. How did you come up with the roughly
> 50/50 estimate?  I am sure we need a editor for development but I might
> be using Eclipse or even Anjuta? IMO, it can be listed as a optional
> package in the group and not more than that.

Um...

emacs is more than just an editor. Advanced users of emacs use emacs as a shell
from which they

	- edit the source
	- invoke the compile/make process from WITHIN emacs
	- run the application from WITHIN emacs
	- if the application crashes, then the debugger comes up WITHIN emacs,
	  and allows them to debug the application, look at the source code,
	  etc. All from within emacs.

While I readily admit that most emacs users probably don't use these advanced
features of emacs, I would argue that emacs DOES belong in the development
group. Those that leave it out of that group are simply unaware of what emcas
can and does do...

All the best,

- -Greg

> Rahul

- --

Please also check the log file at "/dev/null" for additional information.
                (from /var/log/Xorg.setup.log)

| Greg Hosler                                   ghosler at redhat.com    |