Fedora 12: Emacs is not for software development

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 22:21:12 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 6:23 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Both vim and Emacs are obsolescent and hard to use. Kate FTW!

Hmm, at this point I would have thought nano would be the editor with
one of the lowest learning curve in those very pleasant  moments when
an inexperienced admin needs to edit a system config file manually
from runlevel 1 or similar heart stopping panicy "recovery"
situations.   Do we have nano in by default or just vi?

I mean vi is fine and all.. so is emacs... both are pretty useful
development tools with there own style. but both can be frustrating to
use out of the gate and your in a situation where you really really
need to fix something _now_. Nano isn't particularly powerful, but its
pretty clear how to edit and to save and to exit from looking at the
default interface...without much head scratching or heartburn.

-jef