Reboot madness? [Was: Re: dhclient and dhcp update require restart?]

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 19:44:03 UTC 2009

2009/9/1 Dariusz J. Garbowski <thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk>:
> I'm starting to be really bothered by this. Today kdenetwork requires
> restart due to... "fix Bug 515586 - Kopete: New Messages from changed
> resource arrive in new tab/window". Wouldn't login/logout sequence do? And
> that only if the user really cared, i.e. was using Kopete and this bug was
> really irritating him.
>
> Before that imsettings required restart... kpackagekit required restart...
>

> I'm with Matthew on this: "This is a real shame. One of the selling points
> of Linux is that you *don't* need to reboot for every little upgrade (unlike
> a certain other OS I shan't name)."
>
> Is this something that should be bugzilla'd?

I think that the selling point is over-sold. It is true in many case
for servers, but desktops are a much more interconnected system where
updating something deep requires a lot of restarts.. and yes you could
come up with a to probably deal with a good many of without a
reboot... it is often faster to reboot the box than work out that you
need to restart daemon-A then Y then Z and then A again

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning