NetworkManager-based packages won't rebuild to fix broken deps

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Sep 3 15:44:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 02:59 -0700, Alex Lancaster wrote:

> >> Has something changed in the API/ABI?
>
> CM> The name of the .pc file itself, i.e. libnm-glib.pc -> libnm_glib.pc, so
> CM> pkg-config --exists libnm-glib instead of pkg-config --exists libnm_glib
> CM> etc. No idea if this is an intentional change or not, but I assume that
> CM> it is.
>
> If so, it would have been kind of nice to announce it here on
> fedora-devel-list so that maintainers of dependent packages would be
> prepared.  (At least I couldn't find an announcement in the quick
> search of the past few days of archives I checked).

It would have, and I should have done so.  That's my fault.

The API/ABI changed for libnm-glib as a result of the port to PolicyKit
1.0, and the soname was also bumped.  Since the name never should have
been _ in the first place, at the same time as the soname bump and
API/ABI changes, the library name and thus the pkgconfig file name were
also changed.  This also ensures that we see the error more clearly at
build time instead of segfaults due to missing symbols at runtime.

In addition to that, I'll be bumping the soname of the libnm-glib-vpn
library for the Debian folks, but most programs don't link to
libnm-glib-vpn.

Dan