what features are required in Fedora kernel

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Fri Sep 4 21:20:31 UTC 2009

> This is an interesting question.  I'd hate to think that something being
> unable to be included because of technical reasons would cause us to be
> unable to call something Fedora.

Well, I think it's more or less "whatever works".  That is, we require
the various kernel features that the rest of the Fedora packages and
their integration need to work properly.

Are you trying to get the installed kernel rpm size real small,
or just to get the kernel+initrd real small?  The latter seems
fairly easy--just make everything not in the boot path modular
and make sure mkinitrd doesn't include anything unnecessary.
Then everything else can be in post-boot modules and you don't
necessarily have to strip down the kernel build particularly.

Thanks,
Roland