how to become a co-maintainer for an _existing_ RPM pkg

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 17:46:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 19:24:06 +0200, Stefan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to become a co-maintainer for an _existing_ RPM package. I
> already red the following link
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join but they are
> always telling you how to act when you create a _new_ RPM package. I
> contacted the actual RPM maintainer and he said that it would be good to
> have a co-maintainer because he is the only one and could need some
> support. So this shouldn't be a problem.
>
> What do I have to do? Find a sponsor for an _existing_ RPM package?

The terminology is different. "Sponsors" are for people, not for
packages. "Reviewers" are for packages. A sponsor is the person who
approves another person's request to join a group in the Fedora Account
System (FAS).

If the package maintainer doesn't have sponsor status (and it sounds like
that), you obviously need to find somebody else to sponsor you. One common
way is to submit packages for review and convince a sponsor (who will be
the reviewer) that you know what you're doing with regard to RPM packaging
and the Fedora Packaging guidelines.

If you cannot think of any package to submit for review, you could still
find a sponsor by giving a demonstration of your Fedora Packaging skills
or by trying to convince sponsors with pieces of information that may be
relevant (such as your contributions to the packaged software or other
packages, your expertise with regard to the software project, or perhaps
you like to do a couple of package reviews even if you cannot approve
the packages yet).