Introduction to a new SIG for creation of Live DVD

Eric Springer erikina at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 00:24:33 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Aditya Patawari
<aditya at adityapatawari.com> wrote:
> Initially I was also thinking of producing a larger image to include more
> packages but after reading Colin's view I also thinking that instead of
> creating a large image with all pre-installed stuff, a large image with an
> internal repository can be created. It will reduce the user's need of
> accessing external repository without having a lot of stuff installed which
> a new user might find confusing and cluttered. It will leave the basic "try
> before use" feature of the live cd will remain as it is.

While I really prefer the idea of a live DVD over a normal install
DVD, just filling it with extra software seems like a bit of a waste.
What would be awesome (but understandably difficult) would have a grub
menu showing KDE / GNOME / XFCE at boot, and use that as the live DE.
It'd be a painless way try different DEs and pretty damn cool.