Introduction to a new SIG for creation of Live DVD

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Tue Sep 15 12:52:58 UTC 2009

On Monday, 14 September 2009 at 22:41, Aditya Patawari wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 2:00 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>wrote:
>
> > I think that if we're going to ship software,
> > we should also preinstall it on the live image. Otherwise users can't try
> > it
> > out right away when starting the live system and they have to post-install
> > it manually after their installation.
> >

> The problem with this is that giving 4 GB of pre-installed stuff will only
> clutter the space and might end up confusing the user.

What do you mean when you say it "will only clutter the space"? It will be on
the DVD anyway, either preinstalled or as RPMs. What makes you say it will
confuse the user? Have you actually tried giving users two DVDs, one with
software preinstalled and one with RPMs in local repo and asking which they
find less confusing or are you just guessing?

Regards,
R.

"Faith manages."