status of forked zlibs in rsync and zsync

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Tue Sep 15 20:29:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 12:34 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> This would be great if maintainers were willing to fix issues after
> the
> fact.  Look at rsync -- there's no incentive to fix the library issue
> at
> this point because rsync is already in the distribution.  We need to
> fix
> this lack of incentive for other reasons -- but we need to fix it
> before
> we start trying to get more packages into the distro with less initial
> quality.

Sorry but the packager may have no way to influence upstream.
And to be honest having a huge patch against rsync and/or zsync to
extract a library against the will of the rsync and/or zsync upstream is
contrary to fedora policy as (AFAIK).

And yes I am the maintainer of rsync and I am not doing the job, because
I don't want to have to create or maintain such patcheset until the day
I am reasonably sure upstream will want such patches.

Finally as ajax said, we need to be reasonable, I don't think this
problem warrants blocking our acceptance of zsync.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York