Mouse pointer freezing in f12 and f11

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed Sep 16 11:15:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 09:42 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 19:29 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> > I've had a problem with X in f12 or some time that sees the mouse
> > pointer freezing.  I'm now having the same issue in f11.
> >
> > I'm happy to file a bug in bugzilla, but I'm hoping someone mught be
> > able to point me in the right direction.
> >
> > After some time after running X the mouse pointer will freeze.
> > Switching to a VT doesn't help, but I can use the keyboard to close apps
> > and do a little navigation.  Also pushing the power button will see a
> > dialog to allow me to shutdown, suspend, etc.  I can suspend and resume
> > and this fixes the problem.
> >
> > I'm not however convinced that it's an X bug.  I think it might be
> > related to bluetooth (I believe that my mouse and keyboard have
> > something to do with bluetooth on this laptop) and that the suspend
> > resume cycle restarts bluetooth and fixes the problem.
>
> You could verify this with "DISPLAY=:0 xinput list" when the mouse
> pointer stops.  If you don't see the bluetooth mouse in the list, then
> the kernel is refusing to re-plug it right.  If you _do_ see the mouse
> in the list, then X is confused somewhere.
>
> Does keyboard navigation still work when this happens?  Does alt-tab
> switch windows, etc.

I'll give this a try when I next have a lock-up.

I'm pretty sure that this problem only occurs before I've cycled through
a suspend-resume.

I suspect bluetooth issues because the bluetooth icon appears until I do
the suspend-resume cycle and then the icon doesn't appear and bluetooth
doesn't work (but the mouse does).

Keyboard navigation still works, and I can switch to a VT too.

R.