status of forked zlibs in rsync and zsync

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 20:28:22 UTC 2009

On 09/16/2009 08:59 AM, Jochen Schmitt wrote:
> Am 16.09.2009 17:47, schrieb Toshio Kuratomi:
>
>> That still leaves open the question of why no one has asked rsync
>> upstream to make their fork publicly available instead of hoarding
>> it as a private, internal copy.
>
> I would ask, why the modification will not integrated in the
> 'official' Fedora zlib package?
>
> After this integration the fedora maintainer can forward the pach to
> the upsream author.

And a short followup -- I've gone through the zlib-devel mailing list
archives now.  I was unable to find any request for the rsync patches to
be merged into mainline zlib.  The mailing list archives only go back to
March 2002, so it could be that the request to merge came before that
directly to one of the zlib authors.  But if so, there's not a record of
what problems, if any, there were with the patch.

-Toshio