yum-presto not on by default

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Wed Sep 23 15:22:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:58:23AM -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Till Maas wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:20:21AM -0400, James Antill wrote:
>>
>>> ...but to me this is all a _problem_in_xz_, not presto/deltarpms. If
>>> nobody can fix xz before F12 GA then IMNSO we should revert the
>>> compression to something that works ... the minor savings in xz
>>> compression isn't worth as much as delta's.
>>
>> I guess there won't be any deltarpms to update from F11 to F12, so
>> afaics it would be enough to only switch back to gzip payload for
>> everthing that is going into F12 updates(-testing). Is this true?
>>
>> Then we would still save space on the iso images and for the Everything
>> Repository, but deltarpms would still be possible.
>
> We'd need a mass rebuild to all pkgs in rawhide/f12-candidate to shake Xz
> out of the payload compression.
>
> That's non-trivial.

Why do we need a mass rebuild? Afaics it is only needed to change the
compression back to gzip at the time of the final freeze, so that all
newly build packages (which are the ones going to F12-updates(-testing)
are build with gzip compression. Then delta rpms can be created from F12
Everything to F12 updates-testing. For packages that are built to break
the freeze, there could be a seperate build target tag, that still uses
the xz compression.

This is all under the assumption, that delta rpm creation from a xz
compressed rpm to a gzip compressed rpm works.

Regards
Till