libc.so.6 horked?

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 14:03:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 1:43 AM, Andy Burns <fedora.lists at burns.me.uk> wrote:
> Did recent rawhide updates break for anyone else?
>
> I updated yesterday (having not updated for several days) now I seem
> to be missing libc.so.6 file (with understandable result that
> virtually everything fails to run on startup) can't even get to a
> shell in single user mode, selinux keeps attempting to relabel the
> filesystem.
>
> No big thing to me if I need to flatten this partition and re-install
> when F12 beta hits the shelves.

Yes, that happened to me too, after updating Tuesday morning ...
except nothing seems to be wrong with libc.  I get bootup messages
from mount about not being able to find libc.so, followed by a full
SELinux relabel and then a system crash.  But if I boot off a rescue
disk, I can successfully chroot /mnt/sysimage and use the system.  I
ran rpm -Va and found nothing significant.  I rebuilt the dracut image
and the boot seemed to proceed normally, up to where X should have
started.  At that point, the whole system froze.  This looks like a
kernel or dracut issue, not a libc issue.

I'm happy to attempt to narrow this down further, if someone can tell
me what to do next.  Otherwise, like Andy, I plan to blow the whole
thing away and reinstall from scratch.  (Mine's a virtual machine,
rather than a partition, by the way.)
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/