yum-presto not on by default

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 24 20:22:40 UTC 2009

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 16:00 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:
>

>> #2 is about the way someone would use the system. If I'm a place where I
>> know the bandwidth is questionable then I figure immediately after install
>> I can run: yum install yum-presto and be ready to go.
>>
>> Or, we install yum-presto by default but disable it. So the first thing
>> someone with bandwidth issues does is enable the plugin.
>>

> Neither of these will happen because they require esoteric knowledge of
> yum plugins that users don't have. So if we turn it off by default, it
> will not be used by a significant percentage of the people for whom it
> is beneficial. And all the infrastructure cost we put into maintaining
> delta rpms is effectively wasted...

Not really and you're being a little dramatic, I think. If we don't
install it but have its default state be 'on' then they can just do:

yum install yum-presto

and then they're done.

On the other hand someone who has good bandwidth can easily also do:
yum remove yum-presto

and it is off.

As I said when asked the last time - I don't have a preference if it is
installed and on or not installed. I don't consider the single command a
significant barrier, either way.

I don't think it is the end of the world, either way.

-sv