yum-presto not on by default

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 24 20:29:21 UTC 2009

On 09/24/2009 04:22 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:

> Not really and you're being a little dramatic, I think. If we don't
> install it but have its default state be 'on' then they can just do:
>
> yum install yum-presto
>
> and then they're done.
>
> On the other hand someone who has good bandwidth can easily also do:
> yum remove yum-presto
>
> and it is off.
>

> As I said when asked the last time - I don't have a preference if it is
> installed and on or not installed. I don't consider the single command a
> significant barrier, either way.
>

> I don't think it is the end of the world, either way.

The inconvenience for a high-bandwidth user of having to wait a little
longer for the update to complete is minor compared to someone on dialup
having to spend hours updating (or days, if they've just installed and
are unaware of yum-presto), or someone with bandwidth caps having to pay
for the download.  Besides, the high-bandwidth users can keep themselves
busy using the connection for something else while the update finishes.
 And even they might want to help reduce the load on the mirrors.