Opinions on packaging ATLAS (for the x86 architecture)

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Fri Sep 25 16:33:38 UTC 2009

On 09-09-25 10:41:56, Deji Akingunola wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know your opinion (or any guideline, if it exists)
> for the best way to package the ATLAS library for the x86 arch ATM.

> i). Create a generic x86 'atlas' main package for the P6
> architecture,

Currently, the default atlas contains SSE and no SSE.  AIUI, even no
SSE is faster than no ATLAS.  Still, I would hope that the proper
variant is chosen at run time, or at least install time.  If so, the
proper packaging for ATLAS is a single package built for all x86 (or
x64 or SPARK or whatever) variants.  (My own machine would benefit from
a 3DNOW build.)