yum-presto not on by default

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Sep 25 17:00:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 12:43 -0400, David Boles wrote:

> 'lurker mode off'
>
> Comment from a 'lurker'
>
> You developers and all do a fine job with this.
>
> *But* you all seem to have the same wrong idea about *most* regular
> Linux users. At least the ones that I see on the help lists.
>
> *Almost none of them read that darn DOCs.* Nor do they read the release
> Notes. Nor do they read the FAQ's. Nor do they read they Known Problems.

That's, um, pretty much what I was saying.

> Really? They don't read the instructions and hints *before* they destroy
> their working systems with an update? Or with a release upgrade?
>
> Really? Not the Newbies? Not the 'I think that I am an Expert' people?
> Not the 'I have much Linux experience' people? Really? Sure. Just follow
> the questions asked when something well written about pops up as a
> *surprise*.  <sigh>

I know this.

It is, however, fair to point out that you're using an inherently skewed
sample - "the ones that I see on the help lists'. All other things being
equal, the people who bother to read the documentation naturally show up
far less often on help lists. =)

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey