yum-presto not on by default

nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Sep 26 09:17:40 UTC 2009

> So how do you get those 'others' to read the instructions? Linux used to
> basically require that you do that. Things had to be found in the system
> and then configured by hand.
>
> In the rush to make things auto-magic, which is not a bad thing IMO,
> when something does not 'just work' users are lost. They seem to have
> forgotten how to read. Or perhaps comprehend what they read.

It's not like that. It's more like, the complexity of a Fedora system went
over the roof in the past years, and has little in common with old limited
*nix systems, so users now refuse to be dragged in reading the
documentation, because they know that if they let themselves fooled by
just a few apps, they'll saturate.

Remember, human brains do not follow Moore's law, if we want to be able to
continue growing the distribution, individual packages need to get simpler
to use. And simpler does not mean "I'll assume everything is a laptop, and
everyone is a 'normal' user". Simpler means "my app is smart enough to
manage all cases alone without human intervention"

--
Nicolas Mailhot