Removing provide statement from an existing spec file

Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus stefan at seekline.net
Tue Sep 29 12:32:06 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I took over a package a couple of days ago and have a question according
to a provide statement. Consider the following one:

Name: myapp
Provides: myapp.pl

If I interpret the naming guidelines right, then a period is not allowed
in a package name. But what about a provide statement (guess it's the
same)?

In case it is also illegal what would be the best to do. Will yum update
the package if a user installed previously "myapp.pl" instead of "myapp"
and the new package does not have a provide statement anymore? In the
end the question would be should I follow the guidelines or provide
backward compatibility in sense of updating.

cheers
Stefan

PS: ".pl" should indicate that it is a Perl script, not a locale.