Buyer Beware: A Major Change in NFS is about to happen

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed Sep 30 10:18:41 UTC 2009

Steve Dickson wrote:

> On 09/30/2009 04:53 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> Steve Dickson wrote:
>>> I looked into this... Having the kernel give a "different" kind of
>>> error when the "V4 beginning mount routine failed" did not look
>>> feasible  so figure it would be impossible to get through upstream
>> I don't really understand this reason.  When you get a mount fail, why
>> not try v3?  It doesn't matter whether the kernel gives a different
>> kind of error or not.
>
> The error that is returned is ENOENT which is fatal error because
> it means the remote directory does not exist... and I'm not sure it
> would be good to continue flood the network with mounts requests
> (I'm thinking about autofs mount storms) for directories that may
> or may not be there...

I can't see how it would cause a mount storm: all you'd be doing is
issuing a mount request twice, once in each protocol.  Consider the
alternative, which is breaking NFS access for enormous numbers
(hundreds of thousands?)  of people.  And, in the process, severely
damaging the reputation of Fedora.

Andrew.