[KDE] Which Phonon? Phonon backend - GStreamer or Xine?

Clive Messer clive at vacuumtube.org.uk
Wed Sep 30 13:40:55 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 29 Sep 2009 16:03:54 Jaroslav Reznik wrote:

> We, KDE SIG, are considering which backend should be default for Phonon in
> Fedora. Seems like it's not easy to agree on final decision @ KDE SIG
>  meetings, we'd like to summarize what's the problem, some backends facts
>  (please correct me, comment, add, etc.) and we'd like to hear comments
>  from outer KDE SIG universe, from you, Fedora developers & users, too.

Just one comment: gapless playback. ;)

I've noticed from my testing of amorok -> phonon-backend-gstreamer ->
pulseaudio that gapless playback doesn't work seamlessly. Especially
noticeable with a live album where there is a stutter, click or pop between
tracks when using the gstreamer backend, and that doesn't happen with the xine
backend. Not quite sure where to point the finger, amarok or phonon-backend-
gstreamer, just thought I'd mention it.

Regards

Clive
--