[KDE] Which Phonon? Phonon backend - GStreamer or Xine?

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Sep 30 18:07:37 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 30 September 2009 19:11:36 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > So I think it would make a lot of sense to switch to make our distro
> > Gst-only asap. Eventually this move will have to happen anyway.
>
> Uh, I have to disagree there. It is not our job as distribution packagers
>  to dictate to upstream developers what multimedia library they use. If an
>  upstream project XYZ requires e.g. libnobody-else-uses-me (fictional name)
>  for multimedia and XYZ is worth packaging, we'll want
>  libnobody-else-uses-me packaged too. At best we can try to get mainstream
>  applications ported to a common framework (like we did for spellchecking
>  (hunspell), in fact I set up KDE to use hunspell everywhere, but there are
>  still quite some niche apps outside of GNOME and KDE using aspell), but
>  even that doesn't always make sense: for example, the crypto consolidation
>  (NSS) is just not working (OpenSSL is the de-facto standard upstream
>  projects are used to work with and many still support only that) and
>  suggesting all GUI apps to
> "standardize on GTK+" would be a complete no-go.

That's not about "standardize on GTK+" (yes, it would be nice world with Qt
Everywhere :D) but support best supported framework. There's no problem with
not supported GStreamer - it's supported in Phonon, with some question marks.
So now once we have lot of stuff on Phonon, we can make Xine lib optional. Some
time ago it was much more better than GStreamer, now GStreamer is better and
more supported. We should choose better technology over politics.

Jaroslav