[KDE] Which Phonon? Phonon backend - GStreamer or Xine?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Sep 30 18:13:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 00:11 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 29.09.09 22:46, Kevin Kofler (kevin.kofler at chello.at) wrote:

> > Behind GStreamer, sure. Behind Phonon (and thus also Phonon-GStreamer), not
> > so much. They're currently using it, but there are people working on the Qt
> > Mobility project talking about replacing Phonon with something else (another
> > abstraction layer, again around native backends (GStreamer in the GNU/Linux
> > case), I really don't see what the advantage would be over Phonon).
>
> Haha. So the major 'advantage' of Phonon that it would allow replacing
> the backends as time progresses without breaking the KDE apps using
> them now officially is proven to be bogus. The KDE/Qt folks were so
> afraid of a media engine breaking API so that they created their
> abstraction thing and now break API of that one more often then the
> media engines themselves do.
>
> Do I hear an "I told you so!"?
>
> Abstractionitis is an illness, not a remedy.

whatever the validity of this, it rather looks like sandbagging the
intended discussion, and doesn't seem to be directly relevant to Fedora
development. perhaps it should be discussed on a more appropriate list,
or privately with Kevin - at the very least, in a separate thread.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey