Packages requiring numpy may require a rebuild in f13 and rawhide

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 12:11:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Jussi Lehtola
<jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> A Python package BuildRequiring numpy does not need to mean anything.
> All of my packages on the list BuildRequires numpy simply because the
> install scripts have a dummy check in them for checking that all
> necessary runtime modules are installed.. so AFAIK nothing is compiled
> against numpy.

I'm not saying all those packages are affected... I'm saying that's a
starting point for packages to be checked.

The ABI break is real.  Quoting scipy.org:
"NumPy 1.4.0 release pulled. (2010-2-8) Due to an unintended ABI break
the 1.4.0 release has temporarily been pulled pending a decision on
how to handle the ABI incompatibility."

Its almost two months later and NumPy 1.4.0 is still pulled from
upstream. Not a good sign. Do we revert to back to to the old version
if upstream doesn't re-release 1.4 before F13 release date? Sort of an
important question.

I'm still coming up to speed on the details by reading the upstream mailinglist.

-jef