i386-class support changed in F-13?

Dan Horák dan at danny.cz
Mon Apr 5 18:47:11 UTC 2010

Richard W.M. Jones píše v Po 05. 04. 2010 v 19:31 +0100:
> On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 02:48:03PM +0200, Dan Horák wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was trying to install i686 variant of F-13 to an Alix board (2D13 with
> > Geode LX) and got into troubles. The kernel boots fine, but when it
> > should start initramfs the kernel panics. Everything works well when
> > using complete F-12 environment and when using F-12 kernel+initramfs
> > with F-13 rootfs the initramfs stuff runs well, but when I try to
> > manually chroot into the F-13 from the dracut shell I get an "Invalid
> > instruction" exception. I though last change in x86 CPU support was in
> > F-12 (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F12X86Support) and it
> > explicitly talks about Geode LX as still supported. So the question is
> > whether F-13 should still work on Geode LX?
>
> The 2D3/2D13 has only 256 MB of RAM which is a bit tight for
> installing Fedora.  TBH I didn't even expect Fedora would work, so I
> put Debian on my 2D3 :-(

yes, installing Fedora with anaconda in 256MB could be a problem, but
it's sufficient for running minimalized Fedora. It will serve as a
router/firewall/vpn server on my Internet connection. Thus I prepared a
system with "yum --installroot=/mnt/compactflash install ...". I will
write a blog entry tomorrow with all the details.

Dan