2010-03-25 Printing test day recap

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Apr 6 16:29:14 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 14:28:05 +0100,
  Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 08:06 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > For both different printer types? (I am pretty sure they used different PPD
> > files.)
>
> Well, does the PostScript output go closer to the edge of the paper than
> where the text output gets cut off?  In other words, does it look like
> it is a hardware limitation that print output cannot be closer to the
> edge?

I'll have to do testing. I think the issue is that for text files it does
try to print closer to the edges than the devices can. The postscript
output doesn't appear to try to print that close to the edges. So I think
it is a hardware limitation that isn't properly reflected somewhere.

One printer is an Epson Photo Stylus 870. The other is a copy machine at work.
For the latter the files are handed off to a generic postscript print
server that in turn sends stuff to the copier. For the former it is directly
connected to the machine doing the printing and is using one of the PPD files
for that machine.