Fedora 12: Make Dell machines boot again

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 6 19:43:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 10:28 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 10:48:39PM +0200, Felix Schwarz wrote:
>
> > since the last stable kernel update in Fedora 12, a lot of Dell machines
> > do not boot anymore due to a kernel oops... Of course bugzilla has a
> > couple of bug reports (e.g. #578217, #579118, #578663, #578590).
> >
> > There is a known fix/workaround which is already present in CVS
> > (kernel-2.6.32.10-94.fc12) and a koji build which fixes the issue for
> > all users. However there's no update in bodhi yet.
> >
> > Due to the severity of the problem, I'd like to see a push to
> > updates-testing as soon as possible.
>
> Thanks, Felix.  I have created the update.
>
> Since I created the problem for the b44 people in kernel -90, I
> wanted to be sure to get some positive test reports before pushing
> the -94 update.  I apologize for the extended delay over the weekend!

>From what I can tell, it looks like the -90 update got 'auto-pushed' by
hitting +3 karma, despite the fact that two people had reported the
regression in Bodhi. This is a classic case of 'works for me' positive
feedback overriding 'there's a regression!' feedback, which is one of
the issues we're trying to fix with the proposals to improve Bodhi.

For now, might I suggest disabling auto-push for kernel updates?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey