Synaptics click and drag problems

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Tue Apr 6 20:22:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 14:04 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 17:05 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 11:55:31AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> >
> > > Within the Fedora desktop environment, clicking and dragging results in
> > > a right mouse button event and no dragging. I turned off the silly (and
> > > in my personal opinion anti-useful) right mouse button stuff after some
> > > fiddling with synclient in HAL so I don't end up with a lot of minimized
> > > windows or "New Folder"s on my desktop every time I try to click and
> > > drag. But I still can't actually click and drag. There is a suggestion
> > > this is a limitation in the synaptics driver in Xorg. Is that correct?
> >
> > Yes. X has no terribly useful multitouch support at present.
>
> I thought things were changing in that dept. Is there a place other than
> the Xorg lists or shall I inquire there for the latest status?

Funnily enough, a quick search with the right words brings up:

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/24871592/0001-Make-click-and-drag-work-for-Macbook5-1.patch

That would seem to do exactly what I wanted. I sent the author an email
and will see if this still works with the recent driver (it should do).
If so, then this would be a good candidate for reworking into upstream.

Jon.