Synaptics click and drag problems

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Wed Apr 7 05:05:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 16:22 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 14:04 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> > > Yes. X has no terribly useful multitouch support at present.
> >
> > I thought things were changing in that dept. Is there a place other than
> > the Xorg lists or shall I inquire there for the latest status?
>
> Funnily enough, a quick search with the right words brings up:
>
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/24871592/0001-Make-click-and-drag-work-for-Macbook5-1.patch
>
> That would seem to do exactly what I wanted. I sent the author an email
> and will see if this still works with the recent driver (it should do).
> If so, then this would be a good candidate for reworking into upstream.

The above patch forward ports to recent kernels quite trivially and
works *perfectly* with two finger click and drag. It's not quite in an
upstreamable state (aside from the coding style), but it is trivial to
rebuild the mouse driver with that fix and make a Macbook usable.

The original author tells me he is no longer running Linux on his Mac
but that he was told about various more generic solutions. I presume
that is a reference to the generic X multitouch work, which is nice, but
I think I'll ping some folks upstream to see if some version of this
hack can work its way in before too long in the interim. Utopia is nice,
but so is being able to use the mouse on my laptop today ;)

Jon.