Macbook Pro 13.3" (5,5) Fedora 12 notes

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Apr 7 21:27:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 05:14:32PM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> What would be the correct way to enable synclient support? I didn't find
> any documentation so had to go poking to figure out the "right" thing.

Don't use synclient. Use xinput.

> I only just found all of these issues. I'll file some bugs later.

Please file bugs before posting workarounds. It means there's a much
better chance of these issues not perpetuating.

> I agree. I'm not interested in perpetuating anything, however I am
> interested in a Macbook being useful right now rather than in 6 or 12
> months from now. Therefore I'll take some horrible VT hack for suspend,
> and I'll live with a kludged up mouse driver that actually works for me.
> I wanted to share some instructions for those who can't figure this out
> but nonetheless do buy a Macbook and want to run Fedora with it today.

With the exception of the closed driver requirements, I'm unaware of any
reason why these issues wouldn't be fixed within a week. Encouraging
others to utilise these workarounds perpetuates the implication that
they're necessary, reducing the probability that anyone will ever get
around to filing a bug and things getting fixed. Search Google and
you'll find thousands of pages where people describe their workarounds,
in many cases for issues that never get dealt with properly because
people have their itch scratched and can't be bothered reporting the
problem. This hurts the people who then have to continue applying their
workarounds every cycle, and hurts the people who won't even bother
trying to find workarounds or file bugs when things don't just work out
of the box.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org