PolicyKit-authentication-agents in Fedora

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 8 22:20:58 UTC 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 08.04.2010, 17:56 -0400 schrieb Matthias Clasen:

> First of all, the fear of GConf has really grown to quite irrational
> levels. Just look at
> http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Google_Summer_of_Code_2010#Fork_GVFS_to_provide_a_more_lightweight.2C_stripped_down_version_without_Gnome_dependency

It's not only GConf but also other things like gnome-keyring, libsoup,
or gnome-disk-utility with it's dependeny on nautilus and many more
things. The latter could be avoided with smarter packaging however.

As long as GNOME developers hardcode things like gnome-terminal or
gnome-mount in lowlevel stuff like GIO, there will always be people who
want to fork from that.

> Anyway, studying rpm -q --requires polkit-gnome, I have a really hard
> time coming up with anything that could be objectionable, bloated or
> unnecessary:

[snipped]

> Just what do you want to strip out here ?

Previous versions relied on GConf2 and I already asked if you or David
have any plans to bring this dependency back.

Regards,
Christoph