geos soname bump in F-12 updates

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 9 21:56:15 UTC 2010

JS> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com> wrote:
>> Looks like the geos update for F-12 bumped the soname:
>> python-basemap-0:0.99.2-6.fc12.i686

JS> Sigh.... thanks for the heads up. I'll push a rebuild now.

JS> -jef"Not to be picky, but it sure would be nice if there was some
JS> way I could get a heads up about this sort of problem before a
JS> soname change lands in updates-released so I can help as the basemap
JS> package maintainer before unsuspecting users see breakage."spaleta

Indeed, that's what I've been requesting for about 3 years now:

https://fedorahosted.org/bodhi/ticket/79

i.e. a way of preventing pushes that break deps, and get warn
maintainers of abi/soname bumps that they need to co-ordinate with all
dependent packages to do a single co-ordinated push.

Broken deps in releases is my number 1 peeve with Fedora and although
it's been actively worked on now, it's taken a very long time to do so.
It would be nice if Red Hat put some more engineering resources into
part of QA because it definitely overlaps into the infrastructure side
of things that "community" maintainers don't have access to.

Alex